Su Meng is famously a Chinese guitarist who studies and plays in the USA, as a soloist, in a duo (the Beijing Duo) with her compatriot Wang Yameng (whom John Williams and I met on our Chinese tour in 1995) and in a trio with her teacher, Manuel Barrueco.
- In 2002, Meng Su won first prize in the 5th Vienna International Guitar Competition.
- in 2005, she garnered first prize in the 48th Tokyo International Guitar Competition.
- In 2006, she was the winner of the first Parkening Young Guitarist Competition.
- in 2006, she was the winner of the first Iserlohn Guitarist Competition.
- in 2014, Meng Su received the Maryland State Art Council’s Individual Artist Award in Classical Solo Performance!
- in 2015, she was the winner of the fourth Parkening Guitar Competition.
I was lucky enough to catch her on my latest visit to Hong Kong just after she had won the prestigious Parkening Competition for the second time (the first time was as a junior) and we managed to have a brief conversation about practice, competitions and living in the USA.
There interview took place in the studio of my old friend Wong Yik Hung.